View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Have you considered creating a partition of the proper size and backing up to that, rather than to an image?
That is what I was thinking before I purchased SuperDuper and read the manual. I read about sparse images and the great advantage they offer: that you can use a sparse image to back up to a partition where you want to store other files. Rather than create yet another small partition for my daily backup, why not back up to a sparse image on a partition I use for other storage? Excellent! So far I haven't placed other files on that partition, just the sparse image, but my plan is to do so.

Sure, I could create yet another smaller partition, although I think the process will wipe out all the existing partitions and I will have to recreate all the partitions and the several backups and file storages all over again.

Is the current state of development of sparse images still buggy and volatile, requiring a certain level of sophistication beyond that of a vanilla user like myself? Is that why it would best to avoid sparse images altogether?

jotaro