View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Using Super Duper to back up to a NAS

I am hoping that someone can tell me this is possible NOT USING AIRPORT.

I read the brief description from the help guide in SuperDuper which partially describes how to do this but I believe that I have missed something in the process.

I am using Leopard 10.5.6 and SuperDuper 2.5. I have no desire to use a wireless connection to perform a 100 Gb back up and not sure who in their right mind would want to. I have a network storage device that I have mounted on the desktop to which I would the image to be written. Time machine has no reasonable means unless you are a programmer, to do this. i can't believe this basic task is such a stretch for a Mac.

SuperDuper claims this is possible but what seems to happen is that image is created first to the desktop then, according to the help screens, is supposed to be moved to the NAS.

That is where I assumed something went terribly wrong. If that is the way the program works, it is necessary to have enough free drive space on the main Mac drive as one has currently used. That's 100% overhead which I don't have, hence the network back up.

Has anyone used this feature in SuperDuper to confirm that what I have reported is correct?

Moreover, does is there any way to back up directly to a network drive on a MAC?

I would very much appreciate any assistance with this issue.

Thanks!!