View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM

How to safe TimeMachine-Backup (Urgent)

Hi,

I am facing the problem that the external HD were my TimeMachine-Backup resides is having a serious file-system-problem (probably not hardware) leading to failing TimeMachine-backups, hanging Finder. So far attempts to repair it with Harddisk-utility have failed (cannot be repaired, cannot be ejected: make backup, reformat! ).

The drive is partitioned, one part (1a) for SD-cloning (internal HD: very day) and another part (1b) for TimeMachine and other files I donot want to keep on my HD. The troubles seem to be limited to that particular partition.

I have been able to copy those other files to free space on yet another external HD (a SD-clone of internal HD every week) (2) and to my internal HD.

I'm am unwilling to loose the last six month of TimeMachine-Backup. Is there a way to safely copy the "Timemachine.backup" to another HD or partition? I have only the one other, were currently a weekly SD-clone resides.

What would be the best procedure given my ressources: clone Timemachine.backup to drive 2 or partition 1a, while erasing the clone, if yes, how can this be done?

Thanks a lot

Rolf

MBP C2D 2.33 GH 2GB RAM, OSX 10.5.4 German

Last edited by rlfsoso; 07-02-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typos!