View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Problem overcome - the hard way...

Dave,

I tried, and I tried and I tried (think three or more times) to back up the chock full o' files 80 GIG internal HD to a partition on my relatively new Lacie faster than all getout, FIREWIRE 800 500 GIG external HD...

Tried to use a script that ignored /private/mnt - but SuperDuper still tried to access the directory... And when you try to cd to mnt - you get that whacky automount to 192.168.0.71 nfs command stream going (port 111, etc)... I had deactivated my Norton AV autoscan/etc... but that didn't work...

so, at around midnight, I had gotten out of bed and checked on the backup - and it had failed AGAIN... I decided to do some investigation on the Web and found a dude's blog:

http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/20...er-and-finder/

where he discussed what was happening - kinda/sorta...

I decided to take action - and as root, mv'd the plist file in:

/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/mounts

to a different filename... I wasn't able to cd to /private/mnt anymo, after that
bold (and probably stupid in the big scheme of things) move...

With TIGER there was another automount file (forget where) and I was able
to comment out a call to /private/mount_nfs - something like that (I forget
what_all I had done), but that method worked as well - and wasn't about
moving a plist file (whatever a plist file is - I know not a lot about Mac OS/X,
although I know quite abit about Unix - as I am a software_dude by trade)...

AnyHOOT - the change to the filename did the trick. I ran SuperDuper one more time late last evening, without the script that ignored that directory... And the backup worked. Took 4 hours 41 minutes, but I was able to boot off of the partition after the backup. I am also using Leopard's time machine to do back ups, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the bootable image backups that SuperDuper creates. Not sure how I lived without this product for 2.5 years or so - hoping for the best all that time, and damn lucky that the worst didn't happen...

thanks Dave, and the rest of the SuperDuper development team - you guys ROCK!!

southside_bruce (live, from Bangkok, Thailand)