View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I kind of gathered that you were going for a "depressed" vs "up" ("on" vs "off") -- just like a push-button. The widgets throw me because the "depressed" state is graphically exactly the same as the "up" state, but just a darker color.

For a "depressed" state, I guess my eye is looking for a shadow where the button would sink below its neighboring button, or the faceplace of the console. Instead, however, the highlight of the light reflection is still there — kind of like those buttons on television production control boards, or airplane dashboards where you push the button, and it "lights up" but doesn't necessarily change position.

Sorry, I know I'm being incredibly picky here. I totally understand what you mean and what you were going for. It's just that more than once, I found myself thinking "okay, so does this click mean I've turned this day 'on' or 'off'?".

Honestly, and please, no offense, I never even look at the "What going to happen" section. I think it's a great idea for users who are new to backup — the ones who are thinking "oh crap, what exactly will happen if press the 'copy now' button?". Unfortunately, for me, it takes 10-15 seconds of reading and translating words into actions to read the "What's going to happen" section to gain the same information as a quick 1-2 second glance at the buttons. Perhaps I've got ADD, but there are simply too many words — the names of my scheduled jobs are rather long and detailed (full sentences themselves), and the names of my disks are all lowercase, so I find myself re-reading the sentences because I can't at first glance tell the variable information (job and disk names) from the static information ("...will be copied to..."). Everything ends up looking like incorrect sentence grammar. ("Shouldn't there be a 'your' before the word 'backup'?"..."Oh, wait, 'backup' is the name of my disk."..."So, wait, that means..." ).

Please forgive me, I know I'm nitpicking again. I just wanted you to know how one user is interacting with things.

Keep up the good work, Dave!!