View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:53 PM

Norton Antivirus?

I have just started using SuperDuper and I'm pretty impressed so far. My company requires Norton Antivirus software be installed on work computers (and home computers used to connect remotely to work computers), so I've done that. I used to like Norton software some years ago, but have grown a bit leery of it lately. I noticed a few minor issues after my SuperDuper backup that might or might be related to Norton Antivirus.

I am backup up a PowerBook G4 with 1 Gb RAM and about half of an 80-Gig internal drive free -- the target is an external Maxtor firewire drive with 80-Gig and 170-Gig partitions, with the 80-Gig partion being the target. Had been doing this for a long time previously with CCC.

(1) First minor issue -- SD was not able to unmount the external drive to erase it, I noticed that in the log, so I stopped the backup and erased the drive with Disk Utility, then reran SD without incident.

(2) Second minor issue -- after the backup was completed and I quit the SD program, there was a lot of disk activity on the Maxtor external drive and I saw from Activity Monitor that Norton Antivirus was very busy. I eventually restarted the computer and all was quiet again.

I am guessing that item (2) is related to Norton AntiVirus trying to catch up and check all the files that have flown by during the backup? Do you advise on turning off the automatic checking during backups for Norton or other antivirus software? This would not concern me as having Norton Antivirus on a Mac seems to only serve the purpose of intercepting PC-type viruses that might be passed on to a PC but are harmless to a Mac.

On item (1), could that be related to Norton Antivirus also [I realize you can't really diagnose this for sure, but thought this might be something that others have seen], or maybe related to the fact that there is another firewire drive on the same firewire chain?

Neither of these are real concerns but I'm trying to understand what I see. (By the way, does Norton Antivirus slow down SD at all? I would guess not if it is having to "catch up" after SD is all done.)

The things that impressed me most about SD are its speed, the progress indicators (very useful), the clarity of the messages and instructions provided to the user, and the apparent robustness of the software.