Thread: Weird
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM

I'm thrilled to finally have a Leopard-compatible SuperDuper, but I thought I'd note that I'm seeing similar behavior.

I have Leopard (10.5.1) running on a MacBook. I have Time Machine backing up to a partition on an external USB2 drive (call that volume TMbackup) and SuperDuper 2.5 cloning my MacBook's internal drive to a second partition on the same external drive (call that volume SDdupe).

When the drive is attached, both volumes show up in the Finder side bar. The Time Machine volume has a Time Machine drive icon and the SuperDuper volume has a generic external drive icon. Both volumes can be ejected using the eject button that appears next to the volume name.

When I do eject the two volumes and disconnect the external drive, a new item appears in the Devices list of the side bar -- an alias with an internal drive icon and the same name as my MacBook's internal drive. If I select that item in the side bar, I see the list of the root contents of my internal drive. If I select one of the items in the finder window, then the selection jumps over to the actual internal drive object that appears in the side bar.

When I reconnect the external drive, the alias object disappears and the two backup volumes appear, but they now both have generic external drive icons and there is no eject button next to the SuperDuper volume.

If I drag the alias object from the sidebar before reconnecting the external drive, the SuperDuper volume does not appear in the side bar when I do connect the external drive. If, when the external drive is connected, I use finder preferences to specify that all external drives should be shown in the side bar, then the SuperDuper volume reappears and looks as expected (i.e., icon, eject button).

As the OP said, it's weird.