Thread: Sleep wonky?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We just ask the system to sleep -- the same as picking "Sleep" from the menu.
So it's the more Mac-like one that should work? I wonder if the problem I'm having is related to the FW external's power-button doing tricky things by being touch-sensitive -- if it expects to be awoken from sleep by a Windows machine, maybe it doesn't work as well under a different OS? To be honest, I think the problems I've been having are to do with the external hard drive's implementation of 'sleep', because once or twice before I used SuperDuper the Mac wouldn't awaken from sleep when I tried to use the power button after it being off overnight (Have contacted Seagate's support about this, but they show no interest in replying).

Damn. Had to physically swap out the screw-in adaptor in the bottom to change USB/eSata to Firewire -- in order to access the Seagate Tools to see if I can look at or change the sleep settings, I 'd need to a) take out FW and screw in the USB adaptor, b) carry the drive and its power brick across the room to Teh Evil XP box (which was my old computer before I switched), go back to my Mac and access the XP box from there using Remote Desktop (because the XP box isn't set up for sitting-at-it-access) and cross my fingers to hope that Seagate Tools will access the low-level features on a disk that's The Wrong Format. Huh. Am I losing the will to live here?

Has anybody out there got a Seagate that they could check with? Could anybody tell me if the Seagate Tools things would work across the network from Windows network to my HFS+ disc (if I make it visible as a Samba share?).

Failing that, is there a 'Wake Up Now I Mean It' Vulcan Nerve Pinch for a confused/sleepy Mac, short of using the power switch, which is probably deprecated.