View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 AM

Sandbox size recs for Leopard

Hi Dave and all,

I've done a fair amount of browsing of the forums, and I haven't seen a thread with a general discussion of rough sizes needed for a Sandbox for Leopard, in both the "Sandbox -- Shared Users" and "Sandbox -- Shared Users and Apps."

One customer had a +/- 10 GB Sandbox that wasn't big enough to accommodate all the Apple apps and their add-ons/scripts (maybe it was Garage Band extra stuff?).

I've been using SD for cloning for years, and am now setting up a new MBP with a 320 GB internal and am ready to play in a Sandbox. I'm trying to figure out how much space I should partition off for a sandbox of each variety, and this will help me decide which to go with.

The MBP came from the factory with Leopard and Apple apps, and these took roughly 20 GB. (I can't say exactly, b/c I've already written zeros over it. Wish I had written those exact numbers down... it was 22 GB or less)

My Tiger disk usages are as follows:
15 GB /Library
10 GB /Applications (the whole shebang, including 3rd party)
2 GB /System

I use some intrusive apps and will be in the field doing research for a year in India, and just cannot afford a system update to cripple me. I'll have portable FW external HDDs with me to clone to, but I want to run a sandbox partitioned off on the internal HDD. I'm not sure how many new apps I will be needing over there, so this makes me think I might be able to get away with a "Sandbox -- Shared User and Applications," but I'd like to consider both. I have often ceased work immediately after cloning, until I have tested a new app's stability. A "Sandbox -- Shared User" would maybe make me sleep better I reckon. I wouldn't mind doing double installations...

10 GB seems too small unless specific scripts are used to exclude some big add-ons to Apple apps, I take it. The user manual states 10-15 GB is a general guide to Sandbox sizes, but even 15 would be much too small for a "--Shared User" (only) Sandbox in my case, wouldn't it? The MBP was loaded with 20 GB with only the system and Apple apps, so even the smaller Sandbox would need to be at least this big, wouldn't it? Or am I missing something?

I would be very grateful for recommendations as to appropriate Sandbox partition sizes in my case, both for "--Shared User" and "--Shared User and Application" modes.

Thanks much, for an exceptional product, and for being there to support it!