View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
... Can you boot from the MBP in Target mode from the mini? If so, you can copy it from the actual drive. Make sense?
No ... unless you're saying that I could connect the Mini (10.6) and the MBPro (10.8) via Firewire, boot the Mini holding down the option key, and then select the MBP as the boot system and actually be running 10.8 (and all the MBP apps) on the Mini? Hmmm, can I do that?!? I'd then be executing SD in the app library on the MBP ... but I would also need to be able to access the external hard drive (USB, connected to the Mini), where I write the disk image. If that's possible it makes my head spin.

Here's the situation. I have a Mini running 10.6. I have a 'dead' MBP running 10.8. I can connect them via Firewire, with the MBP as the target drive. The MBP is 'dead' in that its GPU has died (the "black screen"). So it cannot boot, but all the files on the hard drive are still intact.

I was hoping to be able to create a full system disk image of that MBP hard drive. But perhaps I won't need to if, when the new MBP arrives next week, I can connect it directly to the old MBP via Firewire and then run Setup Assistant to get the applications (et al) onto the new computer. Does it make more sense to wait and try it that way?