View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Question Sandbox Procedure Clarification Needed

Maybe my mind is too weary to get what may be obvious. Nevertheless, I need to ask the following questions regarding creating a Sandbox. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a larger hard drive. Are the following steps the simplest steps to creating "Macintosh HD" and "Sandbox" volumes on a new hard drive?

1) First, clone my main "Macintosh HD" volume to a second internal drive.
2) Remove the current "Macintosh HD" drive and replace it with a new (uninitialized) drive.
3) Boot to the newly created clone on the second internal drive. Use Disk Utility to create two partitions on the new hard drive and name the largest partition "Macintosh HD" and the 2nd partition "Sandbox."

On p. 35 of the User's Guide, it indicates, after having created the partitions, to choose "Copy Macintosh HD to Sandbox" and "Sandbox - shared users and applications." That's where my confusion begins:

At this point, with SD using the above settings, will SD create the "Macintosh HD" and "Sandbox" clones on the new hard drive in ONE STEP — that is, while I'm booted onto the 2nd hard drive? Or do I first need to create the partitions on the new hard drive, then clone to the "Macintosh HD" partition from the second drive (using "Backup - all files"), and THEN boot to the new "Macintosh HD" volume and use the setting, "Sandbox - shared users and applications"?

The way the User's Guide seems to read on p. 35 is that you create the two partitions and immediately open SD to create the "Macintosh HD" and the "Sandbox" volumes.

Sorry if this should be obvious — but thanks for any help and clarification!