View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
Ignore Ownership should always be unchecked (unchecked = ownership on). I don't think that Macworld article meant to say "checked", since a boot volume always has ownership on...

Don't check the box unless you have a really good reason to do so. (SuperDuper! will always uncheck it before copying to/from a volume.)

Hope that helps -- and I'm glad you've found SD! easy to use!
Hi I just got super duper yesterday and I'm really happy with it. However it took me a long time to get the volumes on my new external hd to show up because I didn't know that one had to log in as a registered user and not as a guest. The reason I'm telling you this is that during my investigations to make it work I looked at the permissions.

My La Cie hd was already *defaulted* to 'ignore permissions' checked which is what I thought I wanted, and to be extra sure I changed the permissions so that I was the 'Owner and the 'Group' and all three permissions groups were set to read/write on all volumes

I've just left it like that with 'ignore permissions' checked as that is what it always was, and seeing as it is checked it became irrelevant that I changed the permissions. Then I came across this thread which is telling me to uncheck the box and use permissions.

So...

My question is basically two part...(I) what are the reasons for unchecking and using permissions and (II) how should the permissions be set.

I've made a bootable clone of my complete hd on one of the partitions, I'm not booting from this clone at the moment (I'll post another thread with questions about this soon) I'm just using Smart Update to keep it up to date, until I make a decision on whether to use the sandbox feature. I've also got another mac connected via an ethernet/router that is using a different volume on the hd to store files so that person needs to access their volume.

Everything is working fine at the moment so I'm wondering what is going to be different if I uncheck the 'ignore permissions' checkbox and how should the permsissions be set?

Last edited by fred; 04-23-2006 at 11:28 PM.