View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:57 PM

when I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, I had two partitions on my external drive. I made a normal smart backup to the partition where my Tiger backup was, and named it "Tiger Backup."

Then I upgraded my OS on my G5, changed a few of the drivers and apps (PITA!) that had to be updated to run on Leo, and finally made a full erase-and-replace Leo backup on the other partition, which I named "Leo backup."

I felt good knowing that I could always boot from Tiger if need be. One driver that had to be replaced immediately was for the Logitech S530 keyboard and mouse, which wouldn't run under Tiger. If you have that kb/mouse, then have your old USB devices ready and plugged in before you start the conversion.

I've noted this before here, but, under Leopard, repairing permissions can take a very long time, especially the first go-round, when you will think that something is very wrong. Be patient. At best, it now takes me 20 minutes to repair permissions, so you may only want to do that under a smart update if you have installed new software or software upgrades.

Last edited by t3rockhall; 12-03-2008 at 07:01 PM.