View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM

Partition Scheme for an External Hard Drive

Should my external hard drive be done in GUID or APM? Which is better for the clone and for Mac Intel's in general?

Should the partition for SuperDuper be the same size as the internal drive, or should it be larger?

I heard that Time Machine volumes should be at least double the size of the internal drive.

Can anyone share with me some partitioning schemes they might recommend? I have a Maxtor TB hard drive, and also use VMware Fusion. The weakness is that while I can make excellent clones that allow for running both OSX and the copy of the Virtual Machine from the bootable clone, and though Time Machine fills in the gap for 24/7 multiple copies files you keep changing and deleting, I still will need something that allows for iterative copies of Windows files, and also would like to be able to archive data from both mac and windows. (Time Machine needs to exclude the VM files because they are to large.) Every time I think about possible partitioning schemes, I just can't reach a good conclusion, and so in the meantime, I'm not making the backups with SuperDuper that I should be, because I'm in a state of limbo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by obeechi; 05-16-2008 at 07:48 PM.