View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM

SD backs up Parallels VM installed in Boot Camp partition

Apologies if this issue has been addressed - this is my first post. I hope this post will be of value regarding the issue of "SD won't back up a boot camp partition".

I have been running Windows XP in Parallels. Note that my Virtual Machine is nicely backed up by SD per many other posts on this issue.

However, I have been disappointed with the slow speeds I'm getting when running the Parallels VM, in spite of 2 GB ram on my MacBook and a 250 GB hard drive. So I re-partitioned my hard drive and created a Boot Camp partition. Then I re-installed Windows XP in the Boot Camp partition (this is a whole separate topic, but I had to re-install apps and data in the boot camp partition). After I got Boot Camp up and running, I went back to MacOSX and configured Parallels to use the Boot Camp partition as the VM. Now I have just one Windows installation and I can use it either in Boot Camp or Parallels.

Now for the good part: I backed up my HD as usual using SD, then booted into the SD clone and then ran the virtual machine from the clone: Voila, my VM in the Boot Camp partition was backed up, no problem. Although I can't run Boot Camp from the SD Clone, at least I have a backed up copy of my Windows system.

Hope this helps some sorry soul out there who is forced to use Windows on their Mac!