View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Copy All Files from 120GB drive taking over 48 hours through USB.

NEWBIE HAVING SLOW 1ST COPY
Even with all other Apps closed, it is taking more than 48 hours as the copy is slowly being created.
Is this normal? Using Superduper 1.5.5 to backup a MacOS X 10.2.8 external hard drive thru USB.
Next time I will try to rewire if I can find a way to use only firewire. What is the speed difference?
Used APPLICATIONS>UTILITIES>PROCESS VIEWER to show how CPU resources were being used. Only 13% of CPU for Superduper, also for TruBluEnv. Hiding SD with cmd H seemed to help a little.
But two days to copy less than 120 MB?
Gordon 4/8/07
++++
For some reason, my account now only allows me to edit previous posts;
new ones disallowed, But Thanks!

Here is what I wanted to post:
The most important thing I learned about backing up with Superduper is that after needing to interrupt a very slow (days) backup of a disk that has gradually climbed to appear at about 90 percent complete, the remaining files can be copied over using this (excerpt from Superduper website):
Choose it as the destination, ensure that Smart Update... is selected as the During copy method in the Options... page, and Start Copying: again, SuperDuper will treat the image like any other drive, and automatically update the image with the changes.

While this may seem obvious, for newbies it might take a while to discover the “smart update” option.
Gordon 5/16/07

Last edited by chezstewart; 05-16-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: All other options disallowed.