View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 PM

Safe Mode vs Standard Mode

Quote:
Do you have something else hanging around that might be interfering with file copies? Have you tried doing your backup in Safe mode (shift-boot) to see what happens?
Finally found the time to run the backup in Safe Mode: Here's the result -

Safe Mode - time 9:26
Standard Mode: 3 consecutive backups - 15:26, 19:03, 17:21

Any suggestions about what might be "hanging around"? I have all of my personal files in my User Account. All applications are in the application file. No Nortons or Virex apps. Tiger seems slow when shutting down or on the restart. Seems to take time for all the screens to clear and the restart to begin - much slower than Panther. I have two other user accounts set up. One with very tight restrictions (guest use of the computer) and the other as a mirror of my personal account to use for testing applications in case of odd behavior. Also, using Dashboard, with about 21 widgets on the screen. Spotlight is indexing only the HD. External partitions are excluded.

As you previously suggested I have added the apple script to shut off indexing. Didn't seem to have much affect on the time.

I have run Disk Warrior. Directory is OK. Prior to running the above tests, I repaired permissions, cron scripts, but did not clear the cache files.

Well, that's the weather report. Thanks for the help.

PS You could make this process a whole lot easier by releasing Version 2.

Western Digital My Passport Slim 1TB, USB 3.0 for MBP
Envoy Pro EX SSD - Thunderbolt 3 for iMac