Thread: Latency....
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Thanks for the comments, Visitor.

Indeed, netTunes isn't as fast as Remote Desktop Connection or Citrix (same general technique) -- but, for the most part, I find that it's fast enough for this type of application. (Note, though, that Apple's Remote Desktop application does a terrible job in this same situation when used in color mode -- it'll hang the server fairly often, misses updates, and generally stinks.)

I'm currently connected wirelessly to a netTunes server, on a fairly saturated low-speed internal link (bridged over phonenet), and performance is pretty reasonable at the window size I'm using (which has about 22 lines of songs or so). It's not realtime, certainly, but it's more than reasonable.

You might want to see if reducing the image quality (in the preferences) gives better performance for you -- dropping it a few notches will significantly reduce the amount of data sent over the wire, with a corresponding improvement in refreshing speed.

That said, the encoding technique I use is something I've been examining, and will likely change at some point in the future. It's currently sending minimal information, but not necessarily encoding the information as optimally as possible. But, for the moment, see if the quality setting might work for you.

Regarding the SliMP3 -- it's an excellent product. In fact, I contributed to its OSX version with a nice preference pane and installer that will appear in v3.1 (you can find them in the CVS archive now, if you're so inclined). Sean, Dean and the reset of the Slim Devices crew are dedicated guys, and if you've got the $250 to spend, I think you'll be very happy with the product.

Hope that helps -- and let me know if the quality slider works for you.