View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 PM

Problems with SD 2.5

I just received a new hard drive yesterday afternoon to backup my wife's iMac Intel running 10.4.11.

When I opened SD to start the backup process I was informed there was a new version of SuperDuper! available for download - version 2.5. Of course I updated 2.1.4 to 2.5 (a BAD choice, as I later found out).

The first time I tried, I got within about 20GB of completion and the counter appeared to freeze although the drive light was still flashing even though I waited about 20 minutes. I was afraid the new drive was bad. I transfered about 50GB of files to another hard drive and tried SuperDuper! again, and again, I got to about 20GB of completion and the same thing happened. At this point I was worried my wife's drive had some bad files although DU said it was OK. Needless to say I was concerned.

It was late and night and before trying any heavy duty troubleshooting on my wife's hard drive I decided to check your discussion forum (a GOOD choice) and luckily found this message thread.

Today I reverted to 2.1.4 and everything worked great!

I suggest you add a very noticeable warning to the 2.5 update info page advising Intel OS 10.4.x users NOT to update to 2.5!!!!! (There may have been such a warning, but I certainly didn't see one.)

Such a warning would have saved me a LOT of grief.