View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 PM

Need help with SD BU Strategy

Read the manual and am trying to determine how to best use my existing hardware to formulate a successful SD backup strategy.

I have a PowerBook connected to an external fw drive, and a workstation with 1 drive for OS and software, plus two large drives for active file serving to the powerbook and backups of all files. I currently have the two large drives setup as mirror RAID, but I'm not sure if that's the best config for an SD backup strategy.

I think I have the PowerBook figured out...just have it BU to the external FW drive daily and to a sparse image on the file server weekly.

The workstation is more complicated as the primary drive is used for work as well as running the LAN file server OS for the two larger drives.

Should I even bother with RAID on the two larger drives or just have SD do scheduled backups from one to the other? I'd like to be able to partition the drives so that I can quickly boot and/or restore the primary drive if necessary, but not sure if I can RAID a partitioned drive?

I know I'm asking a lot from these two drives, but I need them to back up the primary drive, plus each other since they contain both active project files and miscellaneous image and music library files. Plus have enough room left over for the sparse image of the powerbook.

Thanks in advance for any help!