View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 07:31 PM
hdtvluvr

I don't feel as if I am conveying my problem correctly so I will try again.

I have an external FW800 drive that goes to sleep due to it's firmware. This info was found/surmised by others on the Western Digital website. This is either a bug or perhaps by design to prevent it from overheating - again a design issue.

Anyway, the HD shows up on the desktop but is actually asleep when I want to perform a scheduled backup. My last post was to determine a way to 'mount' it again so that it would be accessed and thus wake up before SD started trying to copy. Is this not a viable workaround? The OS is set to never put the HD's to sleep so the booted drive is awake. I was hoping to use the scriptable portion on the Advanced tab of SD to run a script to mount the drive. If this is possible, how would I write/create/store the script?

Thanks for your continued assistance.

EDIT: I am assuming that SD won't 'wake' the drive since Carbon Copy Cloner and Silverkeeper won't. The drive is 'mounted' but unavailable since it is asleep. I need to know if SD will 'wake' a mounted drive either by itself or by executing a script before copying. If it will I will register and purchase a copy. I just don't want to purchase a copy and it not work for my situation.

Last edited by hdtvluvr; 08-31-2007 at 07:38 PM.