View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Clarification of some instructions in the SD User Manual

I'd appreciate clarification of the following items from the User Manual, & sorry for any novice questions (I am one):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Regarding restoring from a backup (p. 26): "drag the file back to its proper location using the Finder" . . .

Does "proper location" mean the parent folder (if a partial backup) and the Mac's internal HD if a full backup?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• The "Restoring from a bootable backup" section (p. 27) only mentions booting from an internal partition or from an external Firewire drive.

I thought is was also possible to boot from a USB drive on Intel Macs (?)

Also, which Macs are/aren't "capable of starting up from Firewire"?
• "Once the backup has been restored, restart your computer with Option held down, and select it as your startup volume." (p. 28)

What does 'it' refer to -- i.e., what should be selected as the startup volume -- 'it' appears to refer to the 'backup' but shouldn't 'it' be the Mac's internal hard drive (i.e., since the restart is occurring after the restore)?
Thanks very much.