View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Question Will "Restore" defrag/optimize a hard drive?

I've trashed about 25 Gigs of data from one of my 4 internal hard drives that has TIGER 10.4.6.

When I checked that drive with TTPro 4.1.1 the graph shows a huge empty space in the middle with data on each side of that hole. Although I have thought does that really matter or is it just a cosmetic thingy?

I have considered using TTPro to optimize/defrag however I'm sure that will take hours, hours and hours. I can't afford that amount of down time.

Now, the three drives already have OS X installed and the fourth drive is used for audio/video data. This fourth drive will be used to park the "sparse" images. I have to go with "sparse" because I do not want erase the existing data on that fourth drive.

Therefore, if I first create a "sparse" disk image of the drive that originall had the 25Gigs of data and then immediatly using Apple'sDiskUtility "restore" following the instructions from the SD manual will that defrag/optimize that hard drive leaving that drive without that huge empty space in the middle?

Or does a "Restore" actually restore/place the files exactly back to same location which in my case would still leave that huge empty space in the middle.

Thanks.