View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
upgrading the internal drive like that should work pretty smoothly...

the trouble you ran into before would have most likely been because the version of Mac OS X on your clone from your old MBP would not have had all the new code required to support your new unibody...

make sure you repartition/format the new external drive using a GUID partition mapping scheme (with Disk Utility) before you do the clone...

and, to help ensure things go smoothly i would also repair permissions and verify/repair the internal drive before you do the clone...
good plan! i did what you said and the process is running in the background... i will write a sentence once the whole thing has gone through.

most likely you are right: the last backup i had did not work on the new unibody, but smoothly on an Intel iMac. The issues i ran into afterwards were horrifying: in tried all kinds of things, incl. the (badbad) migration assistant that did mostly two things: not work and kill the entire installation on the new machine. so i am a little bit traumatized...

and i also was not sure if there would be a difference in running the clone externally over USB or FW or as main HDD internally.