View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM

I've had no problems with Intego, either X4 or X5. I also haven't coped with any viruses, worms, or other nasty detritus from the internets (sic!)

I've decided that the time gain by disabling Time Machine isn't worth the effort of rehabilitating the process when I'm done with SD!

Disabling automatic scanning in Intego X5 dramatically reduces the time to clone a drive in any mode. The reason I thought to do it is that under the dreaded Windoze it is practically mandatory to disable any AV software to do just about anything useful - installing software, cloning drives, running other backup software. As a result, when SD! took so long, it occurred to me that disabling the auto scan feature might speed it up. It did. And I know it makes a difference because when my midnight SD! script runs, it doesn't currently disable Intego and the clone job takes about 3.5 hours.

Fusion vs Parallels. *I* use Fusion. My wife uses Parallels. She runs some vertical market radiology software that seems to run better (faster rendering 2D images, less stuttering) under Parallels than under Fusion. In addition, she has other software her medical group requires her to use and for whatever reason, it and Fusion don't play well together. I've reported this to VMWare and they are looking into it, but unfortunately, my wife's employer hasn't been real cooperative about letting VMWare have a look at the relevant pieces of source where the misbehavior seems to be occurring.

I, myself, find Fusion more stable. I use it primarily because I need Quicken for Windows. The lack of file compatibility between the Windows and Mac versions of Quicken is a profound problem for me as I have 15 years' worth of data stored in Quicken data files. I'm not about to reenter those data manually, so I keep Fusion around principally for Quicken 2008 for Windows. I am hoping that Intuit's promised revision of Quicken for Intel Macs will bring this file incompatibility to an end, but I'm not optimistic.

Hope this helps.