View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 02:08 AM

Bad backup using 2.5!!!!!!

Hi,

I used to use SuperDuper! to defragment my hard drive, it's much faster to do an incremental backup, then boot from the backup drive and restore than to do a defragment using most tools out there.

Not any more.

I did that yesterday and left the restore running overnight. Today I find an "Operation not permitted encountered while setting HFS meta data for <filename> of type: 8\n" error. The first time it was a SyncServices file so I reset my Sync settings (it's on an account for which I don't use iSync). The second time it was a file on a different account, so I went to the terminal, sudo'ed and tried to do an rm. I got an "exec format error: rm" message.

Doing an ls -l of /bin I get a few very very weird files (I'm transcribing since I'm on my spare box):

-r-xr-xr-x@ 55690 root wheel 0 Jan 3 17:28 link
-r-xr-xr-x@ 55690 root wheel 0 Jan 3 17:28 ln
-r-xr-xr-x@ 16243 root wheel 0 Jan 3 17:28 pax
-r-xr-xr-x@ 55695 root wheel 0 Jan 3 17:28 rm
-r-xr-xr-x@ 55695 root wheel 0 Jan 3 17:28 unlink

In the directory that contains the second offending file, all the files have length 0, huge numbers for the nlinks and the owner is a number around 1799000 (different for all of them).

In the end, my backup is completely useless. I am left without a usable machine, without a usable backup and with the only option of reinstalling from scratch and restoring from Time Machine (Thank God for TM!!!). I will definitely never use SuperDuper! again and regret having paid for the product.

However, I *WOULD* like to know what happened. Any ideas?