View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 PM

Actually motion is shared but the app itself is small, .3 gig. The /library/application support/final cut/ directory is the deal killer for final cut studio apps. With motion that is 8 gigs which is not shared. I am guessing when I install the all of final cut studio's 50 gigs this directory will blow up in size. Why doesn't the shared apps script make the application support directory shared? I have tried running a customized script which also shares the "application support" directory. It seems to be working. My Sandbox is down to a more reasonable size of 8 gigs.

Having to spend a lot of time customizing scripts for each application installed makes it not worthwhile to even use a sandbox. You are better off keeping data on a separate partition, making incremental system partition backups to an image and restoring the system partition to an earlier version when it won't boot properly. This is what I do on the rare occasion that it is neccessary in windows, using Acronis.

It would seem to me that the steps outlined above by Randy to maximize the number of pointers should be standard operating procedure and explained clearly in the manual. Rather than a warning in the manual about only doing this if you know what you are doing there should be a warning dialogue if the user appears to have changed the default smart backup to the Apple HD and is about to overwrite his data.

Last edited by ken; 06-19-2009 at 08:58 PM.