View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Feature request - email details of backup status

Hi Dave,

I thought that there would be a relevant post by which to reply and tack on a feature request.

I of course love SuperDuper! and it is used daily by me at work and home for making backups. It all works so well I tend to forget that there are about 6 different scheduled backups running every day now. From time to time a backup will fail (usually because the target backup disk gets filled up). So what I should be doing everyday is always checking SuperDuper to see that things have worked ok. But sometimes I forget (we've had very few reasons to ever retrieve data off of a backup which is why I tend to forget that SuperDuper is there), and sometimes I'm not in the office.

I realised yesterday that I can ssh in to our work computer and navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Scheduled Copies and then go find the latest log file for each of the different backups and check for the 'Copy complete' line. So I'm now tempted to write a quick perl/shell script which will do this and email me the results to let me know whether the backups worked. Then it struck me that I bet other people would like the same functionality, so I thought I'd ask whether this could be implemented as a feature request.

Specifically, I'd envisage SuperDuper would store a target email address and you could choose whether you want the full log file emailed, or just a simply summary (backup succeeded or failed). Each backup would trigger a separate email. Anyway, I realise that you have a million and other one things to be working on but I thought I'd try the old 'if you don't ask, you don't get' addage.

Regards and thanks (as always) for a great piece of software,

Keith