View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 PM

So TC can restore to a "future drive" ? :-)

Hi Dave,

So let's say I backup using SD! to a bootable external FW hard drive once a week or so, but have Time Capsule running continuously.

Then my main HD dies. I boot from my SD! backup, use SD! to copy/clone back over to my (now new working) main HD (now I'm back to a week or two ago, whenever I last SD!'ed to my external drive)...

Now I can restore from TC, up to current (last hour or so, whenever it last ran)? It "knows" that I somehow have lost everything back to a week or two ago (including the 'partial amount' I lost between the time I did the "last TC snapshot, say every hour on the hour, so say 2:00pm 10 days ago," and the "time I did the last SD! backup which was at, say, 2:18pm 10 days ago")...

How does it know to go back to the 2pm (not the 3pm) and update everything from then--won't it think the editing work I did from 2 to 2:18pm might not be included in the 3pm, then eventually all the way forward to today, restores? Because to TC it doesn't have to rebuild back from the "beginning of time", but somehow from this 'magical' (to it) point that caused me to appear to have regressed back 10 days...

I guess I should ask this on the TC support forum, not here, eh? It *is* related to using a clone/copy product like SD! in conjunction *with* TC, so I don't feel too bad asking you this question...

Side (bonus) question: Can SD! be set up to run upon 'awakening' to do a SmartUpdate across a wireless network whenever say, 24 hours have passed since the last backup, and one is back on one's "home network"? If so, I might just pass on getting a TC at all. (What kind of hardware would be required to get this to work? If it can work, can I do this with two machines on the same network--both with their own separate bootable drives? Obviously for performance reasons I'd hook up the drives directly for the first backup, then only do SmartUpdates wirelessly. I might even just set them to run every two hours if I could, rather than every 24 hrs.)

Thanks.

:-)s,
Brad