View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 10:12 AM

I'm sorry; WAY too many inferences and assumptions on my part.

My understanding of the current situation is that, beginning with Catalina 10.15.5, Apple has made it difficult to update bootable clones because of how they've "locked down" (my end-user and probably imprecise term) the read only volume in the Container that also includes the data volume. That means, as I understand it, that the only way SD! can update a clone after Apple does something to the Read Only volume is to erase BOTH volumes in the container, use Apple's ASR to put a NEW Read Only system into the container on the clone, then copy all the Data volume to the Clone. That has implications for what kinds of media can be used to create tolerable clones; e.g., rotating platter drives make HORRIBLE clones if one ever suddenly needs to WORK from the clone. The wrinkle exposed at WWDC is that the machines with "Apple Silicon" being loaned to developers have USBc ports that for some reason don't support TB. So, what I was wondering is whether anything was said by Apple that you're aware of regarding whether purchasing an external SSD with a TB3 interface for cloning purposes would become a regretted acquisition once those new Macs become production machines because Apple has decided not to support TB3 (or TB4, which I assume would be backwards compatible because the physical interface is the same).

The more immediate question, and given that my 16" Laptop is still a "puppy" (I hope) is whether a version of SD! that can update bootable clones in Catalina is ready or almost ready.

Thanks again,
Jim Robertson