Thread: Newbie question
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 03:09 PM

Newbie question

Hello,

I'm new to SuperDuper!, but it looks like a great product.

I have a problem that I was hoping to get some of your help with. I attempted to clone my PowerBook 100GB hard drive last night to a removable Firewire Acomdata 250GB hard drive, formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), partitioned into three spaces: 100GB for the PowerBook, 60GB for my iPod, and the remainder for extra files.

It took about an hour and a half, but it seemed to have copied over all of my files to the 100GB partition on the drive.

I'm new to cloning, and really to back-up in general, and am not sure what it's supposed to look like on the new partition: is it supposed to be a single disc image to boot from, or should I just see all the files that I have on my PowerBook hard drive. I see the files.

Anyway, this morning, when I tried to boot from the Firewire drive to another family member's PowerBook (by re-setting the Startup Disk in System Preferences and then restarting the computer) I saw a question mark for a moment on restart and then the Finder OS symbol and then the computer booted from its own internal drive, and not the Firewire clone.

What am I doing wrong? Did I do something wrong in the cloning process. I seem to have effectively created a full backup of my PowerBook hard drive, but I don't seem to be able to boot from it?

I looked around in the preferences in SuperDuper! and noticed an option in Advanced for creating a Disk Image. Do I need to create a disk image in order for the cloned drive to be bootable? And if so, how do I do this? Where do I create the Image? In the new partition, alongside the cloned files?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

--Chris