View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 12:24 PM

Question reblessing 9.2.2 system folder

It is very strange. About 2 weeks ago, when I activated the Expose "desktop" command, a neat, miniature stacked pile of open windows appeared on my desktop, instead of their moving off the screen. The bigger problem was the "dead zone" on my monitor this "pile" created.

I posted this situation on 2 Mac forums. No one had an answer for why this was happening. Perhaps, my computer is turning into an oracle of sorts showing me an Apple feature from the future.

By clicking/dragging, I literally could move the pile around the desktop, but not off it. The placement of the pile created a specific "dead zone" on my monitor. It kept me from entering text, selecting a link, or even using certain selections on the Apple menu.

When I booted into my backups, I realized the same problem was affecting them. The only change in my system prior to seeing this mysterious pile was using Candy Bar to change some of my system icons.

At first I thought an archive/install would fix the problem. No go. Pile still appeared. Finally, out of frustration I just erased the disk and started over. First time I have ever used the "erase disk" feature. What a process.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check off the OS 9 driver section.Hence, my current problem. Maybe this is the Universe's way of saying "let go of 9". All my apps are OS X. However, since my machine can boot into 9, I have retained 9 as another option to access my system in the event of a major unforseen problem with X.

I know my external partitions have OS 9 still intact as the startup panel shows them.

Thinking I could simply drop/drag the System Folder back to my HD was a bit naive, as the startup panel doesn't recognize the System Folder. Hence, my question about "reblessing".

It's been a very strange computer month since I acquired my first external drive. 3 years of sketchy backups (DVDs, zip disks) and never a problem. New drive...backup hell! Again...go figure.

Perhaps I need to reevaluate my existing backup strategy. That both partitions were affected by the same problem tells me carrying 2 similar copies of the HD is not a good strategy (I backup one on the alternate day using the "smart update" feature) .

Western Digital My Passport Slim 1TB, USB 3.0 for MBP
Envoy Pro EX SSD - Thunderbolt 3 for iMac