View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 PM

System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad tab missing after Mini > Macbook copy

hi again

i superdupered my intel mac mac to my macbook.

everything works great, but the one thing i lost is the trackpad tab inside of mouse and keyboard system prefs..

is there any plist pref file you know of i can copy over from the old mini?
i looked in /System?/Library/SystemConfiguration but didnt see anything obvious. i'd hate to have to archive and install from DVD just for this, which I dont have enough space to do anyway, so i am really out of luck otherwise i think unless you have any other ideas?
thanks

EDIT - I also just realized that 2 other Macbook specific things don't work:

1) The Fn Key is dead
2) the special F1-F7 "Function Keys" including volume, brightness, numb lock, etc are inoperable.

I'm thinking at this point my best bet is to bite the bullet (another day of downtime b/c it contains a large data set under Users and / ) by reinstalling the OS to the boot drive.

But it would be good to know a fix for the future. I guess superduper shouldnt be used to copy from 1 machine to another? I'd sure like to know where the special files are that tells OS X that this machine is a laptop...

Surprisingly, *it does* know its a laptop....looking under System Profiler now, sure enough, it is smart enough to know this machine is a "Macbook2,1" with proper serial number, but apparently not smart enough to bother fixing its own missing config or extension problems...

I'll wait on doing this until I hear back from you because really it is a big job I'd rather avoid if at all possible...
Thanks

Last edited by sjs; 02-25-2007 at 05:09 PM.