Thread: Burn to DVD?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
SuperDuper!'s "Newer" isn't "Newer since last backup". It's "Newer than the equivalent file on the destination". Every file is always evaluated: files aren't skipped because they're newer/older than some global timestamp. So, no, this isn't a problem.
The manual says:

... overwrite files that exist on the destination with those on the source if the source files are newer (with Copy newer) or different (with Copy different), leaving all other files as-is.

Does that mean only files that already exist on the destination are candidates for overwriting? Got a quick example of when those options would be useful? I'm a bit dense today.
Quote:
I'm fairly sure that excludes are excluded as they should be. If you didn't use erase-then-copy or smart update, those files would indeed still be there. Or, if you checked after you booted, they'd get recreated...
First ran a full erase-then-copy backup (unregistered version) to a FW drive volume, then did a couple smart updates (registered version). Haven't rebooted since installed SD. The supposedly excluded files do exist on the destination. I can try same full+SD backup again later (checking after each run) to be 100% certain there's a glitch somewhere.
Quote:
Well, frankly, I wasn't quite sure what you were getting at, and VT is a terrible place to do support/ask questions. So... fill me in about what you were seeing/confused by!
Yeah, I agree about VT. The forum's a bit clumsy, too, especially when the accesskey Control key shortcuts interfere with emacs-style navigation during text editing with Safari (grrr!). Know any tricks to make these inline quoted replies any easier?

I've half figured out the "backup to folder" issue. That's basically what the "backup - user files" script does. With that, is the entire volume erased if the destination is a volume and the erase-then-copy option is set?

Other thing was the summary log in addition to the normal "console" log. Something like how each Carbon Copy Cloner session is logged to a separate file.
Quote:
Yes, we've considered that as an extension of What's going to happen?, but other things have priority at present.
What about a simple warning of the overflow possibility right before confirmation of the backup? Or maybe that would be more confusing than helpful.
Quote:
Not that we've seen. Conversion is done in place. But conversion isn't strictly necessary... manual use of a sparseimage can resolve this issue, allow faster backups (by skipping the other steps), and allow future smart updates of the image to boot.
Not sure what all that mean -- "conversion is done in place" and "manual use of a sparseimage"? Maybe skip that until I come up with a specific example of something I want to do.