View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Question STATUS: Sandbox created, but rebooting is hung up; should you clone your Sandbox too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scstrr View Post
All right, I will *upgrade* my base HD with Leopard then: the one which my Sandboxes point to. In fact, that's going on now (2 hrs 19 mins left).

My Sandboxes will be orphaned until I recreate them: I will recreate a single Sandbox using erase instead of Smart Update, as you suggest. I will do this using the *current* version of SD 2.1.4, even though it's only partially compatible. I will treat it as a beta test, and see how it does.
Note 1: When SD took 5 mins or so while repairing before copying, I halted it. Ran repair permissions from Disk Utility. Repair Permissions took almost 20 minutes under Leopard.

Note 2: Then I ran SD 2.1.4 to erase/create a Sandbox in a 30 GB partition. I set it to reboot from that Sandbox, but it's spent 15 minutes at the grey apple logo screen with the circle of rotating pills. YMMV, but it seems Dave wasn't kidding when he said the current version of SD is not fully compatible. I'll do a hard power down and then see if it boots (maybe I'll even zap the PRAM).

Question: Say you have 3 partitions: Sandbox, Main System, and Data. The user folder in the Main System partition has aliases to Documents folder in Data partition. Currently, I emphasize backing up Data, figuring I can always reinstall system software. But ideally, should you have a backup drive which has matching partitions and back up each using SD? Dave, do you (Shirt Pocket) clone your main system and all Sandbox partitions regularly? If so, would you mind saying if you do it weekly or daily or whatever your scheme is? Anyone else clone their Sandbox and Main System partitions?