View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 PM

Thumbs up ANSWER: Back Up, Upgrade main volume, then recreate orphaned Sandbox(es)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
That's right: do NOT use a Sandbox for Tiger -> Leopard updates.

What I always do is back up and try an upgrade. If there's a problem, it's easy enough to clean install/migrate or restore and wait for the next version.

You will likely be able to Smart Update an existing Sandbox, but erasing won't hurt, since it's smaller than a full backup anyway (and likely to copy nearly everything again)...

Linking Documents probably would work -- but don't try to share too much of your Home folder, especially between different major OS versions.
All right, I will *upgrade* my base HD with Leopard then: the one which my Sandboxes point to. In fact, that's going on now (2 hrs 19 mins left).

My Sandboxes will be orphaned until I recreate them: I will recreate a single Sandbox using erase instead of Smart Update, as you suggest. I will do this using the *current* version of SD 2.1.4, even though it's only partially compatible. I will treat it as a beta test, and see how it does.

The key answers seem to be to BACK UP your main system volume, and then upgrade its OS version, realizing that you will orphan any Sandboxes based on that main system volume. Then, you recreate the Sandboxes -- because of a major system change, Smart Update won't buy you much time savings, probably, so using the erase option is indicated.

Will do. If I find anything as a "tester" I will post it.

P.S. I link Documents mostly for iTunes. That has the lions share of storage (near 200 GB now). I link the "iTunes Music" folder inside the iTunes folder. That leaves all the settings files within the home folder. I also follow the "Kinkless Desktop" by putting all my own documents in an Archive folder, leaving the actually Documents folder alone for "Microsoft User Data" and other such application detritus.