View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Lightbulb Paranoid upgrade to Leopard -- advice/verification please

Paranoid user with Power Mac G4/933 about to upgrade to Leopard.

Four HDs, 2 int and 2 ext.

int HD 1 - 120 GB
  1. 120 GB - Macintosh HD (main Tiger volume, base for Sandboxes)

int HD 2 - 250 GB
  1. 120 GB - ARCHIVE: Tiger + OS 9 boot + older User files
  2. 30 GB - OS 9 Clean
  3. 30 GB - Sandbox 0: Tiger Clean
  4. 30 GB - Sandbox 1: Tiger (no longer used)
  5. 30 GB - Sandbox 2: Current Tiger boot partition

ext HD 1 - 500 GB
  1. 500 GB - Documents (aliases from system partitions link to folders here)

ext HD 2 - 500 GB
  1. 500 GB - Smart Update BACKUP of Documents from ext HD 1

Gratuitous emoticon.

Quote:
I think you'll need to have a second partition. Migrate from the Tiger partition, which'll bring over your data, and make sure you like it...
No, I really would not use a Sandbox to install Leopard against a Tiger/Panther install.
Well, I think the first thing I'd try, after a full backup with SD!, of course, is an upgrade install. You can do the clean install if you have trouble with the upgrade, eh?
Judging from your comments, you would suggest NOT using Leopard to upgrade any Sandbox -- correct? p39 in the manual talks about applying System Updates freely to a Sandbox: but you don't suggest it for a *major* System Upgrade, right?

"Usage Tip" on p38 of the manual talks about keeping new application images and installers in a folder on the desktop in the Sandbox. Since it's shared with the original volume, you can restart under the original volume, and then apply those installers to the original volume.

You seem to say, then, that one should try an upgrade install of Leopard on the original volume (after backing it up!). Correct? If that doesn't work, one can wipe and reinstall Leopard clean, and using migration assistant to transfer files from the backup.

You seem to say that Sandbox won't work between different system versions: therefore, if I upgrade my base Macintosh HD partition above to Leopard, my three Sandbox Tiger partitions will stop working, correct?

Now the first BIG questions: when I use SuperDuper! to create Leopard Sandboxes, can I simply Smart Update, or will it be necessary to Erase the existing Sandbox partitions? I think I would only lose installed apps on a Sandbox, if I used the "Erase" option in SuperDuper! Sandbox, so the impact wouldn't be too bad. Or is there something else that would get lost?

Finally the second BIG question: suppose I erase the two 30 GB partitions containing Sandbox 0 and Sandbox 1. Suppose I clean install Leopard on Sandbox 0, and then use migration assistant, taking care to create aliases to the ext HD 1 with Documents folders so the 30 GB doesn't fill up. Suppose I then create a Leopard Sandbox on the Sandbox 1 partition. Now I would have partitions with Tiger, Tiger Sandbox, and also Leopard, Leopard Sandbox. Would this work? Is it advisable?

Or is there a better plan? Maybe you could mention the steps you at Shirt Pocket are taking?

All of the above presumes the use of the updated version of SuperDuper! after Leopard arrives. I'm presuming you don't suggest trying the existing version for either Smart Updates or Sandboxes?