View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Upgrading to 10.5 Leopard: Best Approach?

I'm new to the Mac so please forgive any dumb assumptions. I purchased a new iMac in August with OS X 10.4.10. I also purchased SuperDisk 2.1.4 that I've been using to clone to an external FireWire 800 drive.

With OS X 10.5 coming out this month, I'd like to try it out safely. No doubt some of the apps I've installed will need to be upgraded for 10.5. In the meantime, I'd like to see what runs and what doesn't using the documents that I've already created on my Macitosh HD startup drive.

It looks like there are several options I could choose.

1. Create a second partition on the internal drive and install a fresh 10.5 on it, re-install my apps on that partition as well and access my documents from the other partition. The second partition would eventually become the primary partition after everything is working. This option seems like a lot of work to get the apps installed and preferences reset.

2. Create a second partition on the internal drive or external drive and use SD to create a Sandbox copy of 10.4 with shared applications. Then install 10.5 as an update to 10.4 in the sandbox. Once all my apps are running ok, I would apply the 10.5 upgrade to my original startup partition.

Option 1 lets me start with a fresh OS X. Is that better than upgrading the OS? In the Windows world, I never went the upgrade in place path.

Option 2 seems to be the least amount of work to test the switchover and let me at anytime boot to 10.4.

Are there other/better ways to upgrade the OS?

Thanks