View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
The point of the Sandbox is that if you install a system update, driver or application that causes your system to become unbootable, you can simply boot back to the original drive and everything's works -- and, in addition, any work you've been doing is all up to date as well.

With a backup, your work is going to be restored along with the backup... which means you'll lose what you've done between the backup and "now".
I require you to "hold my hand" just a bit longer...

Do I understand correctly that the singular utility of the Sandbox is that it remains a safe "testing laboratory" for questionable software? If the new software appears to be safe when installed on the Sandbox, one can then feel confident in installing the same software on the main drive. However, it would appear that utilizing "Smart Update" from the Sandbox to install the new software (after having been proven to be trouble free) on the main drive would be advisable only if the Sandbox itself had undergone a "Smart Update" immediately prior to its being used as a "testing laboratory."

But... it would appear that this "advantage" of the Sandbox is also available if one were to utilize a Full Backup in the same manner. I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible.

If this is true... does the Sandbox (other than for its smaller volume) represent any true advantage over a Full Backup?

Let me ask this a bit differently: Is there any service that can be provided by the Sandbox, and not also by a Full Update?