View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Unable to dismiss "Copy Job" window -- details

I have been using SuperDuper! since 2006 and am very happy with it. It saved me lots of time when I've had drives fail.

This morning my computer shows a small window titled "Copy Job.app", with the text "SuperDuper! got an error: Connection is invalid." and an "OK" button.

I'm writing because the "OK" button doesn't dismiss the window -- it doesn't do anything. (I'm not worried about the error it is describing; I've resolved that myself.) This is the second or third time this or something similar has happened to me (and from this thread it has happened to others), so I thought I'd pass on as much as I can about the problem in the hope that I give you enough info to fix it.

Here's what I can tell you about the problem:

This happened using SuperDuper! Version 2.7.1 (v91).

The SuperDuper! process itself is gone; only it's "Copy Job" process is running.

Clicking on the window does NOT bring it to the front; that is, does not make visible any parts of the window that are obscured by other windows.

Clicking on the "OK" button also does nothing -- even make the button brighten or dim or change in any other way momentarily.

A process named "Copy Job" appears in Activity Monitor as being owned by me with three threads. The process is getting and sending Mach messages and making Unix system calls and having context switches, and every 8 seconds it uses 0.1 second of CPU time.

There is nothing relevant in the Console log.

The window does not appear in the display when I "Option - Tab", nor is it in the Dock. (Which seems reasonable; it is a background program -- but I thought I'd mention it.)

Although this is probably irrelevant, I am using OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F45 on an early 2011 MacBook Pro with a 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 and 16 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 memory. The main drive is an OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD. (The error was accessing an external drive via Firewire.)

A "Quit" in Activity monitor successfully closed the window and quits the process. (A "Force Quit" was not required.)

A "Sample process" from Activity Monitor (before I quit the process) is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Copy Job sample.txt (34.8 KB, 2718 views)