View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 AM

For those of you, who like me, are not technically minded, I just had the same problem & I also spent a long time trying to understand the User's Guide. I booted up from the backup (ie by holding down the Option key) & started the computer w external hard drive plugged in. I clicked on the external HD & expected to get dialogues on how to proceed but got nothing. I had no idea what to do next and no directions to tell me what to do. After a long process of doing the restore incorrectly, wasting a whole day and having to reinstall my operating system, I finally called AppleCare and got clear directions. The User's Guide says "Hold down the Option key when you start, select the FireWire drive" (your external hard drive) and use SuperDuper!". Here's what's missing in the Restoring from a bootable backup: After you select your external hard drive containing your bootable backup > go to Finder > Applications > double click the SuperDuper application > that will bring up a dialogue box with your options > Copy from (select your ex HD) to (select your computer's HD) then Restore All Files and then ok or Transfer". (Dave please correct me if I did not use the correct terminology here.) I just went through this process this evening and hope when I return to the office tomorrow morning that it will all be complete. I've heard great things about SuperDuper and if it really does restore my HD with all my settings I will continue to use it and recommend to everyone but please make the directions a clear 1) 2) 3) for those of us used to following Apple product's clear directions.

Anyone got any tips for me as to what I should expect/check after my restore?