View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM

Wanting to get it right (seeking backup advice)

I have a two year old Mac PowerPC that has 232.76 GB capacity with 31.72 GB of it currenty being used. I recently bought a LaCie 500 GB d2 Quadra external hard drive to store a bootable duplicate of my hard drive and for easy storage of backups. I bought SuperDuper and the LaCie hard drive before I upgraded to Leopard X and I presently have a bootable backup of Tiger on the LaCie.

I have lots of photos, short home movies and general files that I would like to backup. But, I also have creative project files (graphic designs, illustrations & photo mockups etc...) that I make lots of changes to and would like to keep a few versions of to work with.

Is Time Machine the most logical solution for my backups, along with a SuperDuper bootable duplicate or could I set up SuperDuper to handle my backups too. (I should mention Retrospect Express 6.1 & Silverlining backup software were also included with my LaCie drive but I don't know much about them.)

Also, I know I need to partition my external drive to separate my bootable duplicate from my general storage, but should I partition the drive so they each have the same amount of space? Can I also store my MacBookpro (it has Leopard X OS too) backups to this external drive with a partition even though the LaCie is listed as a "desktop external drive"?

Thank you for your help!

Janeen