View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Progress Report - Eventual Success

Progress report on using Sandbox to test High Sierra.

The Good

- With SSD at both ends, making the Sandbox was quick (under 50 GB to copy)
- I was able to verify that all my important apps work fine in High Sierra, including especially MS Office 2011, which is not officially supported there.
- The whole process was really simple and slick.

The Bad
- When running the sandbox, I could not connect to my AirPrint compatible laser printer.
- When I rebooted on the internal drive, which was of course still running Sierra, the reboot and setup took a very long time. Then several pop up dialogs kept asking me to enter my keychain password to unlock Local Items. The correct password was rejected (though it worked fine to unlock the Login and System keychains). Restarts (which took a normal length of time) did not help. Eventually I discovered that the keychain database had been corrupted (though there were no system messages to that effect). Fortunately I had a Time Machine backup taken immediately before I created the sandbox. Restoring the whole keychains folder from it eliminated the problem. The corruption may have happened during the setup process when I returned to Sierra, since there was no evidence of it when running the sandbox.

Once I had fixed the keychains, I updated the internal drive to High Sierra. That went smoothly, and it has run well since. Printer works normally, so my problems were caused by the sandbox not by High Sierra.

So thanks for the Sandbox concept. Possibly some minor tweaks to the scripts might make it more fully transparent.