View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 12:01 AM

One last comment... RocBit produces a external drive that uses hardware encryption to store data and is MUCH faster than the software method that we use for FileVault, etc. It even includes a hardware based key that you stick into the drive in a key port and only with that key and the knowledge of a password (two-factor authentication) can you access data on that drive.

This would be the best (although more expensive) means of encrypting your backups without going through the encrypted diskimage or filevault method. That said, this only applies to your backup, not the data on your internal drive. So, your still stuck with filevault until Apple releases the ability to have your full drive encrypted and its hardware encryption based solution.

Sometimes I wish I had something to hide as going through all the hoops of the "possible scenerio" that may never happen is a lot of time wasted, but much like paying an insurance premium for something that may never happen, and may end up being a complete waste of funds... provides peace of mind.

I believe that is why most people like encryption, peace of mind.