View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 12:45 AM

netTunes server uses Multiple Users

Hi,

I have a similar problem. My netTunes server is the family iMac that has multiple user accounts and Fast User Switching enabled. I've noticed in demoing netTunes that it only works if I leave the user with the iTunes library as the active user.

Is there a workaround, or can this be handled by launchTunes?

If not, my wishlist feature would be to somehow force a switch to the correct user (launchTunes?) before bringing up the netTunes window. Would be happy to type the password to preserve Fast User Switching security.

Everything was also sluggish. The iMac netTunes server is a G4 1 GHz 768 MB and the client is a 1.25 GHz, 1 GB PowerBook. Network is an Airport Express running in 802.11G only mode. Both computers have Airport Extreme cards. Is there a way to speed things up?

Other than that, it works pretty well. Certainly the best solution I've seen to this problem thus far. It has always bugged me that Apple has not addressed this very well, and they did not address multiple users sharing applications like iPhoto and iTunes. I've modified file permissions, moved the libraries etc. to get around this, but it's not very elegant. Apple should realize that many families will want to keep all their photos and music in one central place, but allow multiple users to access this central location. In short, iTunes is not like email in that everyone needs their own separate mailbox.

Thanks for your effots. I'll probably register soon, when is the next version due out?