View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Folks - it's a bad idea to post this kind of thing in the forum. There's a "Send to shirt pocket" Button in the log window for a reason! It keeps your log information in a private, rather than a public, space.
I was trying to make things easier for you so you wouldn't have to associate a forum post with attached screenshots with a log file that came in separately...I won't do it again. Sorry.

Quote:
Anyway, it doesn't show up because that's how Finder works. You can get to it either through the system volume (via its firmlinks) or by using Go To Folder to open /Volumes, and you'll see it there...
Yeah, I know that's how Finder works with Catalina system volumes, but what fooled me was that when I did a Get Info on the volume name after the SD copy, Finder reported only 11GB on the drive, which I figured had to be the size of the system, not system data, volume. After reading your response, I rebooted the laptop, and then Finder reported 200+GB, which is what I would have expected. Must have been a temporary Finder glitch.

Followup question about partitioning an SD target volume in a system backup and another volume. I did it so that both partitions were children of the same APFS container. I know that one can also create separate containers, but those will be fixed size, of course. Is there any reason to prefer one approach over the other?