View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:48 PM

Hi Dave!

Thanks for your quick reply, your answer is very helpful. Maybe borrowing another FWHD might be the way to go. Can I ask you another question?

Why not an "Install and Archive" you ask, well, I have a bit of a strange problem with my machine. My local tech advises me to completely erase and format the HD and start from scratch because of the following problem: every now and then the PowerBook refuses to go to sleep, won’t turn off and won’t mount FireWire HD’s. It seems the rest keeps on running smoothly, as far as I can see. It happens randomly, I cannot link it to a specific event ore use of software. It may even occur when just waking up, use Safari for a minute or so and put the machine to sleep again.

After a bit of searching I discovered a statement in the wakeup sequence that has a one to one relationship with this unpleasant behavior. The System log reveals:

[date time] PB-Niek kernel[0]: FWOHCI Error trying to clear PHY ports.

Searching the net learns me this has something to do with FireWire, but not what is really going on. My question of course: what does this mean? And of course, since FireWire is mainly hardware, do I face a motherboard failure?

Yes, I’ve pushed all the buttons: clearing PMU, PRAM, NVRAM, using DiskWarrior, correct permissions, reinstalling the software (Archive and Install, so I did this already), removing tons of pref files, but no result. Apple Hardware test: no problems. Not surprisingly since this error message only appears once in a while.

Do you have some wise words for me? Should I try the "format and fresh start approach" or is this in your opinion indeed a hardware failure? Because in such a case I won't go through the trouble of reinstalling, my best bet would then be a motherboard replacement. (Still at full warranty!)

Thanks again for your answer!

Niek