View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 04:02 PM

What is Error 7 (Argument list too long)?

and how can I get around it? It is causing my backup job to abort.

Details: I am trying to run a full backup of my MBPro in Target Disk mode, from my Mini -- Firewire connected. SD runs for a bit over 2 hrs. and then gives to this set of messages and terminates the backup:

| 08:46:33 PM | Info | Unable to write extended attribute com.apple.cs.CodeSignature to target file /Volumes/MacMine-ALLfiles-MBP2007/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher due to error: 7, Argument list too long
| 08:46:33 PM | Info | Unable to copy extended attributes from /Volumes/MacMine/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher to /Volumes/MacMine-ALLfiles-MBP2007/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher
| 08:46:33 PM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying /Volumes/MacMine/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher to /Volumes/MacMine-ALLfiles-MBP2007/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher of type 8 due to error 7: Argument list too long

I find it odd that SD is looking inside an application package at all. It has not done that in the past, on any of the machines that have Parallels Desktop installed. Is there something special about running SD to backup a Firewire-connected system?