View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 12:12 PM

FileVault not copying

Hi,
I've enabled FileVault and tried to clone my entire hard disk, however my (FileVault) encrypted home folder doesn't copy at all. I read that SuperDuper doesn't create sparse bundles, but it can copy to them, but I don't quite see how to do that.

At the moment I have a cloned HD which shows an empty Home folder.

If I point SuperDuper at my (FileVault) encrypted home folder as source, how do I tell it to copy newer (or in this case ALL) files to the correct location? I only have the entire backup HD showing up as Destination. The empty Home folder on that backup HD doesnt show up in SuperDuper.

Ok, found something that's helped me a little on the way:

To create a sparsebundle:
In Disk Utility, choose File > New > Blank Disk Image.
Fill in the filename, location, volume name, and maximum size; leave the format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
Choose either 128-bit or 256-bit AES encryption from the Encryption pop-up menu. Leave Partitions set as it is.
From the Image Format pop-up menu, choose Sparse Bundle Disk Image.
Click Create. Enter and verify a password and click OK.

But I still have a couple of questions:

1. My original home folder doesn't show a size anymore, just zero k. Can I just go ahead and choose any size for the sparsebundle I'm going to create, and it'll automatically expand to fit my contents?
2. What location do I use for the new sparsebundle (assuming this is what I do), besides the currently empty backed up home folder? And what name? Same as my home folder?

This might be completely wrong, so I still need some pointers please.

Last edited by jondear; 08-17-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Read some more