Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM

Newbie Question

Hi,

Apologies in advance... I want to be crystal clear on SD's behaviour so I don't screw up in advance of the next time my boot drive dies...

I have both an internal and external backup drive. I am doing an "erase then copy" weekly backup to the internal drive, plus daily "smart updates".

But I will also use an external backup drive, kept in another location, which will only get backed up twice a month. So I did a full clone "erase then copy" backup of the boot drive, and then added via the Finder other essential files from two other drives.

My question is: Does "smart update" always compare the content of the chosen backup drive to the source drive? So that, for instance, I can run a "smart update" of my boot drive to the internal backup drive, and then right after that, run a smart update sparse image backup to my external backup drive which will be in a much older "state" than my internal backup drive was?

Well, that's the question - I hope it makes some sense to you! My objective is to have a remotely located external drive that is bootable and no more than 2 weeks "old", but with added files from several other drives that are essential, but never really change (archive sound and photo files).

Thanks in advance -

Nervous